Sunday, October 20, 2019

Fall 2019 Acrylic Class

Project: Alaskan Fishing Village Week 5


We are getting closer to the details so we need to start finishing things 
like the boats. The little rowboat had some negative painting done on it. First I mixed a medium gray - burnt sienna and ultramarine blue and white (gesso) - This will be a base color that I add more blue and sienna for a darker color (keep the color on the blue side) or gesso to lighten it.

Use the darker gray to make the shadows under the front of the boat. Remember that the sides of the boat are curved so you brush strokes need to also curve as you do anything on the sides. Use a lighter gray for the seats, the top part of the bow and the back of the boat. A bit darker for the outside side of the boat and a lighter gray for the inside side of the boat. Remember to follow the curve of the boa especially on the inside.

I also want you so note as you follow along here that my strokes are basically one and done. Don't over think what you are doing just put down the color and leave it alone.


You can use that same shades of gray on the bigger boat on the side of the building to, again quick strokes, don't fuss. The blue was just blue, white and what mud (gray) was in my brush so it wasn't too bright a blue.

I also added some more posts under the house using yet again the gray I started out with.

I did brighten the mud color with sienna, a touch of orange and white and dry brushed on the highlight with the same comma strokes I used to under paint.

I added windows to the buildings first by under painting with a dark color (blue and burnt sienna) using my #4 sable brush. When it was dry and with the same brush, I first put in the curtains in the front windows. That was just some of the lighter gray I have been using and dry brushing it on to look like curtains. Leave some of the dark to make the curtains looks partially open.
Next, same brush and a light gray - again - I used the very end edge of the brush to add the frames around the windows and to suggest panes of glass by just touching the brush to the canvas to form the windows.

I also used the same technique to add some molding boards to the corners of the building using a slightly darker version of the gray.

I also added the smokestack with again - you guessed it - gray and the sable brush.

I used the same dark color for the window in the door of the red house and a very light gray for the corner molding and frame around the door and window.

The little man was just the dark color for the legs and head, those were just a line for the legs and a rectangular-kinda shape for the head. Don't make heads round or they won't look like people. The shirt was yellow and orange put on with a quick stroke. I used the #4 flat sable for the entire person and with a little luck, the way the bristles were shaped the guy looks like he has one hand on his hip, the other on the rail looking down at the blue boat. Sometimes you get lucky.

The railing was sienna, orange and white same brush, same technique as the molding.

Remember when you reflect the windows and the smokestack in the water to wiggle you vertical or horizontal strokes as you paint them in. It is moving water, nothing is straight.



Last but not least, I pulled up some dark right along the edges of where the grasses meet the mud. Notice it is not a solid line because some of the grass my be in front of the grass as it wanders around the mud.

I hope that we will finish up the project next week so please try to have yours to this point when we meet. We have some grasses to put in and some bushes along with some detail and we can call this done.

Keep painting and I will see you in class.







No comments:

Post a Comment