Thursday, August 15, 2019

Summer 2019 Acrylic Class

Project: Apple Turnover Revisited Week 7

This was the final day for our project and the end of the semester but we got it done and that's what counts. Everyone did a wonderful job on their own versions of this project and I was going to post photos of it but I have lost my camera =-( If I find it again, I may update this post but under current circumstances, I just want you to all know what a great job you did on a challenging project.


To finish up our apples, we did do a few things, first, we added leaves to the branches we put in last week.  I was using my #6 flat sable brush and I mixed a color for the leaves using Hooker's green (you can use sap green just add more blue), ultramarine blue, a little sienna and a little white. The sienna will gray the color and the white changes the value, for this stage you want a medium dark color on the blue side. This is the under painting for the leaves.

Creating the leaves is a bit tricky but with a bit of practice before hand, you will get the hang of it. Load the brush and bring the edge of the brush to a nice chisel so the end is nice and sharp. Start on that edge, holding the brush perpendicular to the canvas. Start to drag the brush then twist, press and pull, the twist back and lift. You should have a leaf shape that starts thin, gets wider, then ends thin again. Like I said, practice.

To make the highlights add more white and a touch of yellow to the darker mixture and highlight a few of the leaves especially around the table. The brightest highlights are white with just a touch of the same blue/green mix to tint the white and I used my liner brush to just hit a few of the edges of the leaves.


The shadows on the table are a mix of ultramarine blue, a touch or purple and a touch of white to make a cool lavender color. I used my #4 flat bristle  and scumbled on the suggestion of shadows using flat strokes to make the shadows look like they were on the table and I only suggested the shape of some of the leaves. You do n't need to spell out the leaf shadows.

I also added leaves to the table using the previous technique and brush, just remember to add a darker shadow under the leaves to set them down on the table.


To some of the apples I added leaves (see above) remember to add shadows from the leaves, this will also help give dimension to your apples.







This is the final result of all our hard work. I hope that you learned a lot and apply what you learned to your own paintings. Until next class, keep painting.




I found my camera! So as promised here are the photos of what you did in class. I am so very proud of you.




No comments:

Post a Comment